We're an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
GS stands for Grade school, with the passage of time and with various evolutions in the world of footwear several new places have been added to differentiate the shoes in an identical manner. Just like GS there are many other abbreviations as well like PS, BG. GS is just a measurement of the sneaker’s shoe size which is the best match to the child’s average shoe size. More specifically speaking GS is another way of describing the small shoe size. However talking about the children’s shoe size, GS is the largest amongst TD (Toddler) and PS (Preschool). Grade school is a specific size modification available for sneakers from Nike.
GS and other abbreviations means:
- GS means Grade School
- BG denotes BoyGrade School
- BC means BabyCrib
- TD means Toddler
- EP means Engineered Performance
- PS stand for PreSchool
Grade School(GS) Size Chart:
Within multiple level of children’s shoes, there is always a wide range of shoe fits, this is made so because different child have different foot size it ca not be stated that for a specific age group we have a particular shoe size, this cannot be done because children’s growth depend on many factors.
Hence you should make sure that you measure your child’s foot before you buy their shoes. In general, the heel-toe length of the foot is the strongest indicator of what size shoe your child should wear.
However, make sure you take into account any factors other than foot length that may impact how firmly the shoe fits. Arch height, foot width, and instep size are all different considerations that can keep a shoe from fitting comfortably.
Finally, consider how your child plans to wear these shoes. Being a child they might want to wear everything but it is upon you that what shoes re best oriented for what. Like sneakers can be a good fit in nearly any situation, whereas some shoes are better fitted to a day at school or the local park than they would be for a slightly dressier occasion.
Not only for Kids
Many grown ups also have a smaller foot size, and if you are the one with a smaller foot size then you can also wear one of the larger GS size. These sneakers tend to be less costly as compared to other shoe making brands. GS sizes go up to 7Y, which is approximately same as a men’s 7. The main difference between a GS 7 shoe size and a men’s 7 size is price and quality but it might differ from brand to brand.
How can you measure your child’s feet?
As stated earlier that all the children may have different shoe size irrespective of their age, now in order to find the best match for the foot size of your child you should:
- Stand your child straight against the wall with a straight back and make sure to align their heel with the wall.
- Place the ruler on the inside of the feet and measure from the wall to the largest toe.
- Make sure that the ruler is held straight and then you can note down the size, further more you can enter the measurements to the Nike’s sizing tool and then it will recommend you the size.
Here are a few tips
- Make sure you take the measurement in the afternoon because it has been found out that the feet tend to swell slightly towards the end of the day. If the measurements are taken at the evening or night time then the foot size will be slightly increased as that of the normal size.
- Before measuring the foot size make sure that you apply a pair of regular socks o your child’s foot, take a note that the sock should not be rather thicker or thinner.
- After they wear the shoes ask them to make a slight movement wearing the shoes that is to walk or do some jogging on the spot to ensure that the size is right.
How can you measure your own feet?
To find out your shoe size, follow the instructions below to measure your foot, after getting the result you can refer to the size chart to get a proper foot size.
- Get a ruler, pen, and piece of paper.
- Place the piece of paper flat on the ground and stand on it. Make sure your foot is flat. Place your feet so firmly that the toe and fingers all align properly without leaving gaps.
- Make a mark behind your heel and another in front of your longest toe. If one of your feet is larger than the other, use the longer foot to measure your size.
- Measure the distance between the two lines in inches or centimeters. The measurement must be done firmly with a straight ruler.
- Find your measurement on either the women’s or men’s size chart to determine your correct size. If your measurement falls in between two sizes, round up. Rounding up always helps as it ensures that the foot size you get is comfortable for you.
Points to consider while measuring your feet
- Try to get measurements at the beginning of the day, this is a good practice because early I the day your feet are at the actual size but as the day goes on our feet tend to increase a bit, and it might not give you the actual foot size.
- Make sure to wear a pair of socks neither too thick nor too thin.
- Walk a bit or make a movement.
Frequently asked questions
What are Y sizes?
Many shoes have a unique letter after the number printed on them, for example 7Y, here the letter is an indication of the age group the size is suitable for. For an instance Y stands for youth and C stands for Child.
Letters are also used while addressing adult sizes as well for example N stands for Narrow, W stands for Wide, and R stands for Regular.
What is the average foot size of a 12 year old child?
The average shoe size for a 12 year old is a US 4Y for both boys and girls.
However this must be kept in mid that the foot size of another child of the same age group may differ because of genetics, nutrition.
What is 7K in shoe size?
Here the letter K stands for kid, which states that this is a kid’s shoe. The digit 7 indicates the size, same as 7Y US size.
What does OG mean for shoes?
This is often seen in the big brand collections, here OG stands for Original or Original Release. It is sometimes also referred as original colorways (or the different color arrangements) at the time of their first release.
Why is it preferred to have a foot impression on a sheet of paper rather than on some other substance?
It is preferred to have a foot impression on a paper because the thickness of paper is very less ad it allows the foot to get properly places such that the heel and toe are well aligned, also paper being easily mark-able we can get the actual foot size on the paper.
What shoes should you prefer according to your foot size?
The foot size varies considerably throughout the day (though these variations are not that big), hence you should try on a shoe at night because this assures that the shoe size you are opting for is not going to get tight or short for your foot.
We all have different kinds of feet it is not possible that everyone will have a common kid of foot, some might have bigger toes or some might have a more curvy bottom, hence a shoe must be tried properly first, you should make movements wearing them and try some physical activities which will help the shoes to ease on to your feets.